JUC COVID-19 Safety Guidelines
Yay! We are open for in-person worship and gatherings!
Beginning Monday, March 28, we will no longer require masks or vaccinations to attend in-person JUC events.
This change is based on a number of considerations:
- COVID-19 case loads in our community have declined significantly and immunity rates are high.
- JUC is following public health officials’ recommendations and the practices in schools, stores, restaurants, and performing arts venues such as Denver Center for the Performing Arts.
We recognize that within our community are those who have been moving unmasked in public spaces for some time, and others for whom the prospect of being unmasked at JUC raises the question of whether or not to return in person. In our large community with many ages and health conditions, there are many perspectives and comfort levels.
As a community, we’ll continue to follow these principles and guidelines:
- We believe that being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 minimizes spread of the virus.
- We will stream Sunday services, just as we did for many years before the pandemic.
- We still expect that if you feel sick, you should stay home and join church online.
- We expect that some folks attending Sunday services will continue to wear masks.
- We still believe in the importance of bodily autonomy, meaning hugs only with consent, and a generous non-judgment about the right choice for others.
We believe that JUC is, and should be, a place that cultivates a sense of broad community and belonging, and that means respecting, and caring for, one another.
If you can get vaccinated, JUC STRONGLY urges you to do so in respect for the interdependent web of all existence. You can find resources on becoming vaccinated here: https://covid19.colorado.gov/vaccine-providers
Faith Exploration Classes
As we continue our journey to resumption of in-person activities, we continue to take a step-by-step approach. No COVID-19 vaccine has yet been approved for children under the age of 5, and we are actively exploring the steps required to resume nursery and preschool offerings for our youngest JUCers. At this time, JUC is offering in-person Faith Exploration classes only at 11am, and only for children in Kindergarten and older:
- No Faith Exploration classes.
- K – 8th grade meet in their classrooms
- Younger children can be with their families in the sanctuary, or in the commons if that meets their needs better. There will not be any childcare or programs for children pre-K and younger.
In-person classes will have the following precautions:
- Teachers will be required to be vaccinated
- HEPA filters are in all classrooms to increase Air Changes per Hour.
- If any attendee develops COVID-19 symptoms or tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of the meeting, you commit to notifying Jefferson Unitarian Church ASAP, by emailing email@example.com
- JUC will be responsible for notifying all other attendees, while maintaining your privacy.
The JUC Safety Team is monitoring local conditions. We will notify the congregation if additional measures (including ceasing in-person activities or the resumption of mandatory masking) are taken.
Planning an Event
- Please use this online form to schedule any event. We will need one person designated as Event Coordinator, who will be in charge of ensuring safety measures are taken.
- Events MUST BE scheduled on the main calendar.
- The Designated Event Coordinator will also be responsible for gaining access to the church.
Before Coming to JUC Events
- If you or someone in your household is ill, DO NOT attend a JUC event. Please participate online, and be aware of COVID symptoms. These symptoms include:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Unusual fatigue
- Muscle or body aches
- New or unusual loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- If you have a known exposure to COVID, please follow the CDC recommendations for masking and testing.
The Safety Team is made up of staff members and includes consultation with medical professionals. Current members are: Rev. Eric Banner, Rev. Keith Arnold, and Carol Wilsey. You can reach our team members by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.